I’ve posted before about Friday night in our house often becoming Pizza night. Now that I have converted to Paleo, however, it has changed up a little. I’ve even deleted the old post, because this is a complete lifestyle change for me, not a diet that will grow old and I’ll go back to eating grains.
We used to make our own bases or use Lebanese bread, which were a healthier option to dialling the delivery man, but these days our choices are even better.
One of my most used Paleo pizza base options I found over on a blog called Skinny Spice.
Paleo Pizza Base
2 ½ cups almond flour
½ cup tapioca flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp oil
¼ cup almond milk or regular milk (mine was expired so I used almond milk)
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp oregano
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a Thermomix or food processor. The dough should be a little sticky.
3. Coat pizza tray or stone with olive oil spray.
4. Roll the dough out on grease proof paper to the size and shape you desire. (I roll it out quite thin, but if you prefer a thicker base, cook it for a bit longer in the next step.)
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Make sure not to let the edges cook too much as they will cook quickest when toppings are on.
6. Take out of oven and add your favourite pizza toppings to the crust.
7. Bake for 8-10 more minutes or until toppings are cooked.
8. Eat and enjoy
The base will taste a little more biscuit like than the doughy ones your probably used to. Trust me when you can’t have something like pizza, you will be pleasantly surprised by the flavour or this and that there is a pizza you can enjoy.