Yesterday I gave you a ‘how to’ for zucchini spaghetti or noodles. Tonight I am going to share with you my very simple meatballs recipe to serve with them.
Meatballs are a simple meal that can be pre-prepared and frozen ready for a busy mid week night, enjoyed on a cold winters night or whipped up full of flavour and goodness for the whole family. You can really make them to whichever flavour you prefer; hiding veggies for those picky kids, spicing it up or keeping it simple. This recipe is basic and simple, but full of flavour.
Meatballs With Tomato Sauce
1 tsp coconut oil
1 clove garlic
1/2 brown onion
500gms beef mince
1-2 Tbs fresh basil (or dried)
1 Tbs TM stock concentrate
1/2 cup water
500gm tomatoes, halved
1 Tbs coconut sugar
Optional: extra fresh basil
- Into the TM bowl place the garlic and onion and chop 3 sec/speed 7. Scrape down sides.
- Add the mince, egg and herbs. Use speed 6 for 5 sec. Repeat if necessary to combine the ingredients together.
- Take out heaped tablespoon amounts and roll into balls. Set aside.
- Into a clean TM bowl place tomatoes. Chop them for 4 sec at speed 5, scrape down sides and repeat until diced small.
- Add the coconut sugar and cook Varoma/10 mins/speed 1. The coconut sugar helps to give the sauce a darker colour and slight sweetness. You can obviously omit if you would prefer.
- When done, scrape down the sides and cook again for 10 mins/Varoma/speed 1. This will mean your sauce is mostly cooked and speed up overall cook time.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat the coconut oil in a deep frypan. Once liquid, add the meatballs.
- Brown them on both sides. You don’t need much oil as there will be some released from the meat when cooking.
- Once browned, mix the TM stock concentrate and water together and add to the pan and simmer on medium to reduce it down. The meatballs with soak up most of the flavour. You could use 1/2 cup of bone broth if you didn’t have the stock concentrate.
- Once the tomato sauce is finished in the Thermomix, transfer it to the pan with the meatballs and reduced stock. Cook for 2-3mins, coating the meatballs and combining with the stock. You could add a little extra stock at this point if you wanted the sauce thinner.
- While the tomato sauce is cooking through your meatballs, cook your zucchini spaghetti/noodles, directions here.
- Add the optional extra basil now and stir through.
- Serve over your zucchini spaghetti and enjoy!
Even if you don’t have a Thermomix this recipe can be easily adapted for a food processor for all the chopping and simmer your tomato sauce in a pot.
The difference in flavour this fresh tomato sauce will make is worth the effort. The jar bought sauces you will find in the shops will have lots of processed sugar added, tinned tomatoes are the same. Buy fresh and give this easy option a try instead.