How are you all feeling now you have cut the sugar out? Its important to remember that your body will go through a detox when you cut out sugar and things may feel worse before they feel better. I looked at my bodies reactions when I cut it out and realised it was proof of the effect it had on me. How the sugar cravings heightened, it really did feel like a drug calling to me.
The benefits now are very noticeable for me and you will notice them too. When your sweet tooth does speak up and beg you for that bar of chocolate or lolly, don’t ignore it completely. With the help of honey, coconut sugar, dates and maple syrup you can still have your treat and feel good about it too.
One thing that I made a lot of before was jam. As most of you know the setting process of ‘normal’ jam involves sugar…and a LOT of it! Once the fruit reduces you are consuming as much sugar as you are fruit, even if I was making for myself. Here is a recipe for a delicious jam that doesn’t use any sugar and the sweetener is only minimal.
Raspberry & Rhubarb Jam (Sugar Free)
1.5 cups rhubarb, diced
2 cups raspberries, frozen or fresh
4 Tbsn honey
4 Tbsn chia seeds
*This will yield 1 mason jar of jam.
- Place the diced rhubarb into the TM bowl and cook Varoma/5mins/speed 1 to soften the fruit (you could do this in a pot).
- Add the raspberries and mix 5 secs/speed 4.
- Place the honey and chia seeds in and mix again 3 secs/speed 4
- Scrape down the sides and pour into your sterilised jar.
- Place in the jar and leave over night. The chia seeds will expand and set the jam.
As well as being able to use this jam in cooking (paleo jam drops yum), my kids also love a dollop of this jam on greek yogurt for a snack. You could a spoon of it on top of your CADA for breakfast (I’ll be sharing the CADA recipe for you too).