I haven’t shared a lot of salads, as I think that its pretty straight forward that they are easily made Paleo. There is one salad that has to be shared though. Before turning Paleo, taco’s would be a weekly occurrence in my house.
They were a great meal to whip together for the kids on those busy sports nights or when you wanted to serve up something healthy but had little time or energy. They still do happen, but now the rest of the family have gluten free white corn tortillas and I use lettuce cups for mine.
The taco salad, however, is all the flavour of your favourite meal without the grains and dairy. This salad is also great for lunch, especially when you have leftover taco mince.
Taco Salad (Serves 2 – 4)
500gm ground beef
Cherry tomato, halved
1/2 capsicum, large dice
1 – 2 Avocados
Squeeze of lemon juice
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
4 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne (or more to taste)
* Place all the ingredients in an air tight jar and shake to mix evenly. Use 1 tablespoon per 500gm of meat to coat and flavour (you can add more if you like it spicier).
- In a large pan brown your beef.
- Add 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning and mix evenly through the meat and cook through.
- Mash the avocado and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside.
- Arrange the salad spread spread over the plate
- Once meat is cooked, spoon it over the top of the arranged salad
- Topped with the avocado and enjoy!
Its been proven that spices can boost and improve your metabolism. This will assist in your bodies burn rate, how quickly our bodies burns fat. Eating this yummy salad will not only taste great at the time, but make sure to add a little spice to your meals and you will be doing a good thing for your body.
Serve it with this guacamole, which I also used for the Chili Con Carne.
1/4 sml onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 lime juiced
1 Tbsn coriander