In the past I haven’t had much luck with making a successful loaf of Paleo bread. I haven’t eaten ‘normal’ loaf bread in years, apart from an odd piece of garlic bread when entertaining. I used to eat little gluten, but bread was just too much for my body to handle.
I have made my own bread in the past with bread makers (those things don’t work for me), but the middle wouldn’t be cooked or they would stick to baking dishes/the machine…the list of failed attempts goes on and on. I also used to make a healthy version of banana bread all the time before converting, but the Paleo versions haven’t been so great. Lets just summarise that my bread making experiences haven’t been very positive…but I never give up!
Recently, I discovered this recipe in my new favourite cookbook Against All Grain by Danielle Walker. I wrote a review on her book here. I bought a beautiful glass bread dish just for this one, I think it cost me $7 from BigW, but I loved that it looked like something I would have found in my nan’s kitchen years ago. It was worth getting, as it helped me bake the best loaf of Paleo bread I have ever had.
I have converted Danielle’s original recipe for the Thermomix, but you could use a mixer or food processor.
Sandwich Bread (from Against All Grain)
Coconut oil for greasing pan
4 large eggs, separated
1 cup smooth cashew butter
1 tbsp honey
2 1/2 tspn apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tspn baking soda
1/2 tspn sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees. Place a small heat-proof dish of water on the bottom rack while the oven heats.
- Line the bottom of a loaf pan with greaseproof paper, then grease the sides of the pan with a very thin coating of coconut oil.
- Place the egg whites into the TM bowl with the butterfly in, and beat till soft peaks form 4 mins/speed 4. Set aside in a bowl, careful not to knock the air out of it.
- In the TM bowl now beat the egg yolks and cashew butter until combined, 10 secs/speed 5. Scrape down sides.
- Then add the honey, vinegar and milk and stir again 10 secs/speed 3.
- Sift (yes sift) the coconut flour, baking soda and salt into the bowl. Beat until combined, another 10 secs/speed 3.
- Put the Thermomix onto the stirring spoon symbol. With it moving add 2 tablespoons of the whipped egg whites to the bowl at a time and mix through until smooth. Add the remaining egg whites and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan/tin, then immediately put it into the oven.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, then let cool for 15 – 20 minutes. Use a knife to free the sides from the loaf pan, then flip the pan upside down to release the loaf onto a cooling rack. Cool right side up for an hour before serving.
Danielle’s Tips: *The steam from the dish of water helps the loaf rise and keeps it a nice white colour. *While beating the egg whites separately is not required, it helps the loaf rise to almost twice the size as adding the eggs whole. *Use homemade cashew butter made from unsalted raw cashews or purchase raw, un-sweetened cashew butter in a jar.
This really is easy to make and very tasty. All Paleo breads are a bit more ‘cakey’ than your regular bread, but this recipe is the best I have tried and has a lovely nutty flavour.