I first shared my recipe for Chilli Con Carne on Day 7 of my Paleo Challenge I released at the beginning of this year. The recipe become a favourite in my household and especially for my son. Its his no. 1 favourite food, or so he tells me. You can see the original recipe here.
Its a favourite for those busy nights when you don’t have much time, but you want something flavoursome and easy. Chilli Con Carne usually includes beans, but as they are legumes they are not included in a paleo diet, so are left out.
The recipe has been altered slightly here to make it easier and quicker if you can believe. If you are feeling like a cheat meal or take away then this is the recipe that you need to turn too. It will still give you the sense of having something naughty with little effort and you wont regret it half an hour later with no stomach distension etc.
So here is the simplified recipe.
Chilli Con Carne
500gm beef mince
1/2 Tbsn coconut oil
1 sml onion roughly chopped
2 clove garlic
1 whole red capsicum roughly chopped
4 fresh tomatoes, halved
1 Tbsn taco seasoning (recipe included)
4 Tbsn Leggos no salt tomato paste (or an organic one)
Optional 1 Tbsn tapioca flour to thicken the sauce if its too watery.
- Brown the mince off in a tablespoon of coconut oil in a hot pan
- Into the TM bowl add the onion and garlic, chop speed 5/3 secs. Scrape down bowl.
- Add capsicum and tomatoes to the TM bowl and chop speed 5/4 sec or until roughly chopped.
- Pour the tomato mix into the browned meat, cook it further for a minute or two to cook the onions and garlic.
- Sprinkle over the taco seasoning* and tomato paste and stir well.
- Cook on low for a further 5-10 minutes until all the capsicum and tomatoes have softened down.
- Serve with a dollop of guacamole and enjoy.
*You can alter the heat/spiciness depending on how hot or not you prefer it, by adding more/less seasoning. This recipe I serve to the kids so not overly spicy.
To help you with the recipe here are the recipes for the guacamole and taco seasoning for the dish:
1/4 sml onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 lime juiced
Put all the ingredients in the TM bowl and mix speed 7 until you get the consistency you desire.
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
4 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne (or more to taste)
Place all the ingredients in an air tight jar and shake to mix evenly.
This dish is worth rotating on your meal planner. You can also use the leftovers many ways. Give it a try.