One thing I always get asked about is how I cook my cauli-rice. I remember thinking, when I first started eating paleo, as if cauliflower could taste that good. Then I tried it. It quickly became one of those dishes that I didn’t know how I had survived without it.
If you have tried it, then its become a staple in your diet. If you haven’t tried it, you have no more excuses. If you follow this recipe you will be wondering why you didn’t try it before. Now, I realise it’s not going to win any medals for flavour on its own, but it will help you soak up those delicious sauces and add another vegetable to your plate.
HOW TO MAKE & COOK CAULI-RICE (Cauliflower rice)
1 head of cauliflower
2 tbsp coconut oil
1. Remove the outer green leaves and the end of the stem.
2. Cut the head of the cauliflower into evenly sized florets. Make sure to cut the stem up too (no wastage).
3. Place half of the florets into the Thermomix (or food processor) and blitz for 4-5 seconds on speed 5. Don’t over do it, you are after a rice consistency, not slush. Pour it into a bowl to the side.
4. Repeat with the second half of the cauliflower.
5. Heat the two tablespoons of coconut oil in a deep non stick pan on medium heat.
6. Add the cauliflower and cook for approximately 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Make sure to keep moving the cauliflower. You don’t want it to brown. As you continue to stir it and as it cooks through the cauliflower will absorb all the coconut oil and become slightly translucent.
TIP: If your looking to add some extra flavour to your cauli-rice, I add either a shallot or clove or two of garlic when blitzing it in the Thermomix. It will chop up finely with the cauliflower, and as it fries off it will leech all its flavour into the cauli-rice.
If you find cauliflower cheaper, buy in bulk. You can cut it into florets, or even better, blitz it into cauli-rice and freeze it raw in portions. It makes life even easier to be able to grab and cook it up quickly.
If your trying to get more vegetables into your diet or on your little ones plate, then cauliflower rice is a great way to achieve that. I know that some people steam their cauli-rice in the Thermomix, but I never liked it that way. Cooking it in the pan has a lot more flavour as well as being very quick. I think its also a better texture this way.